Cat obsession is not something new. Since the dawn of photography, people with cameras have loved to take pictures of their cats. Although cats are known for being independent and aloof, they are still willing to take some photos with their humans to save their precious moments.
Nowadays, the internet has brought cat obsession to a new level, but we want to look back at cat obsession in the past. In this spirit, we would like to introduce to you a wonderful collection of vintage portraits of women and their feline friends.
This collection was created by Alice Maddicott, a writer, educator and artist from Somerset, England. She is the author of Cat Women: An Exploration of Feline Friendships and Lingering Superstitions. Through these vintage photos, Alice would like to show everyone the strong bond between people and their cats.
“I became a cat woman the moment I was hit with a thud of love that I’d never realized a creature could produce,” Alice said. “I never thought I’d become a cat lady, but, as I think of it now, the strangest thing is that it is something you can become.”
Check out below to enjoy! Honestly, the cats of the olden days were also very cute.
1. The white cat disappears into the white of his owner’s dress, next to the tabby stripes of his friend.
2. “The girl’s happiness is so bright.”
3. A triptych – a little family – a tumble of curves.
4. “Look at me and Mary, he says, we are one and you can never tear us apart.”
5. Rosalind lifts her precious patient, Marmalade out of the pram.
6. There are some pains only cats can make better.
7. She will not leave her.
8. He’s wrapped in arms, and she frames him.
9. The kitten she holds is Gretel, her brother Hansel is elsewhere, a black blur battling the wire fence.
10. This is not their first Christmas together and each year they pose together by the sparkling tree.
11. On her dress near her shoulder, that could be a tear from naughty claws and teeth.
12. She is smiling but it is the love for her cat that stands out.
13. He’s going doolally, blissed out as she holds him so protectively.
14. A well-earned sit on the steps and a bowl of food for the cat.
15. They look so happy.
16. She doesn’t look mean, more frustrated and worn out.
17. This cat is somewhat grander and gazes more at ease than her owner.
18. Her garden is beautiful and full of sun.
19. The strength of their bond is awesome.
20. People enjoying having a fine portrait taken alongside their pets.
Source: Cats On Catnip